Wednesday, June 15, 2011

ALIEN VS PREDATOR (Just an aside...not vermicomposting)

Charlie eats Dendrobaena worms,  but they  are  not  a  balanced  meal.  He  should  eat  lots  of  greens and  stuff,  but  like  all teenagers  he  is  fussy.
His  favourite  food  is  the  larvae  of  the  Darkling  beetle  ( Zophobas  Morio)  But these are the  equivalent  of  saurian mars  bars!


Cute  little  things  and  very  feisty,  they  bite if you  are  not  careful.

The  pupae  of  the  larvae  are  particularly  ugly and  the  closest  thing  to  Alien,  of  the  film variety,  I have  ever  seen.

ALIENS








PREDATOR

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good blog, and gives me something to read while mine bed in!
Keep up the good work.

I have a small midi-wormery I keep in the kitchen, and it's just getting exciting now.
I've resisted the urge to have a good dig around as I fear disturbing them, but looks like you've done it for me!

Is the mould on the food ok? I assume so - my worms all seem lively and in good condition when they come out to the surface.

lawrence said...

Yes mould is fine, it is part of the decomposition crew. The worms don't eat the food, they eat what eats it!
They are better left alone, hence I built the outside bin, the ones in the kitchen will have to put up with me.

Happy Squirming