Thursday, September 29, 2011

A VERY SPECIAL DELIVERY

An envelope arrived  today containing  3  capsules.

A fellow  South  African and  vermicomposter,  Peter,  from Natal,  very  kindly  despatched  some of  his  specimens  to  me.
The  capsules  contained  a  few  live baby  worms and  cocoons
The  baby  worms  did  not  survive  the  journey.

Here are the  cocoons








The  cocoons  look viable and there are  visible  worms  inside.

They  would  not  survive  in the  Irish  climate,  or  most  of the northern hemisphere.

These  lads  have  been put  into  fresh  vermicompost and  fresh  bedding and  put  into  the  dark at  26 Celsius. ( in a steel cage guarded by a Bengal Tiger)


Welcome  to............................................
LOL,  or  Vermi Park.

So what  is all the  fuss about?

Peter sent  me  Eudrilus  eugeniae and  Perionyx  excavatus.
As far  as  I  can ascertain, there are  no  known specimens  on this  Island,  nor  is  it  possible  to get  any  from commercial  sources, or  worm research  facilities.  Not  surprisingly  because they  would  be  useless here.  But, because  I have  never seen any, a  little  domestic  research is  warranted.

We  shall see  what  hatches  out !

2 comments:

Vitalie Ciubotaru said...

There might be some legal restrictions for importing worms.

lawrence said...

I thought so too, hence my frustration at getting any from the US where they only seem to be available. (the restriction is from the US side, not Ireland.)
I did however bring it up with an ex Cabinet Minister for Agriculture, who knew of nothing to stop me.
In fact there are so few restrictions, if any, on exotic species of animals in Ireland, that the countryside and waterways are awash with unwanted pets.

2 weeks ago, animal welfare brought me a mis-treated, starving juvenile Royal Python. The inexperienced owner had been trying to feed her locusts. Needless to say, she is now well housed and will turn out to be a magnificent lady.

Thankyou for your concern Vitalie, rest assured I would not do anything illegal, but if I did, you would not find it on here.

...... now where has the Komodo Dragon gone and hid himself? (joke!)